For some odd reason I got the bug to revisit block printing. I had only tried it once before and I thought of some patterning I wanted to try - so block printing came to mind. I carved the blocks & then printed. I was using some watercolor paper and using only a ink pad so the prints came out rather light. It was one of those "Duh!" moments - using heavy papers and not knowing what in the heck I was doing to begin with!
I had a fun afternoon and made a few ATC's to play with. Since this time I questioned what inks I should use and what sort of applicator. Thanks to the suggestions from some friends on the QuiltArt list I have been able to get much better results today and I will post those results - hopefully side-by-side. Today, rather than water-color paper I used Bristol & muslin, and rather than applying acrylic paint with a brush I used a sponge brayer. I am here to tell you that the sponge brayer made a huge difference - though a foam brsuh would, I think, work too.
Here are the first day's results - too light bit fun none-the-less. I so enjoy just seeing where the day's interests take me sometimes. I have a quilt to art tomorrow - an art quilt - it's time to return to fabric and thread.